Wednesday, May 8, 2013

So, about the scars...


So I get this question all the time, and I've kind of always skated around it a bit because I didn't really know how personal I wanted things to get. As I've continued doing shoots and met more people and studios in the industry I've realized that it's not really a question I'm going to be able escape. I've decided that I'm gonna put everything on the table once, and then just direct people here if they have questions. 

When I was twelve years old I went to go spend the night at my Aunt and Uncles house and the night went great, but the next morning didn't. At some point during the night one of the gas pipes had broken and there was a massive gas leak. It was the middle of the winter and the ground was frozen. By chance of events there was a problem in the basement where the outside allowed gas in to the basement, and the foundation followed by the actual basement filled with gas. At around 5:00 in the morning the furnace turned on, and the gas in the basement lit.


I woke up seven days later in the hospital after being placed in a medically induced coma. When I woke up I clearly wasn't really aware of what was going on, but my life was changed. I'm sure in some of my shoots you'll see a little more than the normal pictures show, but I was now covered in burns, and scars. I found out that I had to receive my first heart surgery, and had a couple of other issues that the normal twelve year old boy doesn't really know how to deal with.

I have thirteen scars from the accident. The big one on my abdomen that you can see in basically any picture I post, as well as two others on my stomach, one around my bellybutton from my colon surgery, and one under the nautical star opposite the big noticeable one from my first heart surgery. The scar on my stomach that you see in everything as well as the scars on my right knee, and left thigh are from where burns removed. Two under my right armpit as well as two under my left armpit from chest tubes. One on my forehead from a burn that thankfully is no longer noticeable. One on my left wrist, and one on my right foot from skin grafts, and one on right thigh where they took the skin from. That totals my first thirteen. I also have two super small scars in my groin area that are completely invisible from my second heart surgery. 


But that is enough about all of that! Now for the positive notes. First off, it was six years ago, and it's been a super long time and I don't remember a thing that happened. Two, it's given me an unbelievable outlook on life. You never know when your time is up, so you have to live every day to it's fullest potential. I'm going to post another post this week to take the sad status away, but I don't really know what else to post with it. I hope you all have a great night, and thank you Amy for your advice!

By the way, I'm really sorry if this comes accross as a search for sympathy. Because I honestly do not want or need it. I'm sorry again!




XOXO

- Aiden

No comments:

Post a Comment